Thursday, May 21, 2009

DayQuil review




Woke up with a sore throat today. I was not able to get rid of it after drinking a few mugs of Earl Grey so I headed to the local Rexall to get some medicine. A bottle of DayQuil caught my attention with its orange label and "reduced price" label. I thought that this might give me that slight sleep inducing effect for a meeting I had in an hour - wouldn't be awesome to look drugged up in the boardroom? The answer - HELL YEAH! I grabbed the first bottle on the shelf and ran to the cashier laughing and thinking how I will look in about an hour. I quickly ripped the label open, ignoring the "do not take if you have chronic alcoholism...consume more than 3 drinks per day...or other medicines containing acetaminophen", ripped the seal and squeezed the cap open as if it was a scotch soaked maraschino cherry post rob roy consumption and me trying to get the last bit of the delicious scotch/vermouth/bitters mixture into my mouth...I laughed at the cup provided with the bottle as if it was insufficient to accomodate my drug taking habits and I took a long swig of the good stuff. The taste was not bad, and the aftertaste was OK as well...wow. Much better than the NeoCitran Warming Relief Syrup.

About 10-15 minutes later I was feeling a bit better, my throat was a bit numb and it didn't feel as sore anymore. Sadly, it did not slam me down as I was hoping. I guess the DayQuil, unlike the Daytime NeoCitran, is completely non-drowsy. This slightly better feeling lasted for about an hour after which the soreness in my throat started to slowly come back. I had some tea, which seemed to work temporarily and waited for the 6 hour mark to come so I can have another long swig of the syrup. 

At the end of the day I have to admit that I was feeling better. So to summarize I like my Rob Roys with 2 oz of Black Label, 0.75 oz of Sweet Vermouth, 1 or 3 dashes of bitters and 1 or 3 (I like odd numbers) maraschino cherries...neat.

Scores:
Cost - 7/10 ($8.99 CA, not the most expensive syrup)
Taste - 8/10 (that's relative to other syrups, not drinks)
Performance - 10/10

Overall - 25/30...Great buy

1 comment:

  1. Do not drink with energy drink. Results: disastrous

    ReplyDelete