Friday, October 23, 2009

Fuel Cell Tropical Fruit Energy Shot Review


I love small dosages with high caffeine content on days without enough sleep. You suck it up, take the caffeine and go on with the rest of your day. No need to sip on a gallon of coffee or a pint of a sweet carbonated energy drink. Today is one of those days where I don't feel like drinking a 473 mL can and I have no 250 mL ones in stock. There has been a Fuel Cell shot sitting on my desk for about 3 weeks now. I have only been avoiding it for 2 due to the poor taste of the previous one I had - Appleberry. Why have I been avoiding it for only 2 weeks and not the entire 3 weeks? Well, when I first got the two shots from 7-11, the Tropical Fruits one had its top slashed open. Check out the photo.


I didn't notice this when I bought it, but the next day when I picked up the shot I noticed the cap. At first I thought that its just a shallow knife cut from when opening the box with a utility knife, but then the top came right off.


Long story short, I didn't drink it and the nice people at 7-11 exchanged it for me the very next day. Now, let's try it.

Like the appleberry one, this one also has a pleasant, sweet smell. This one, however, smells of mango. OK, it tastes much better than the other one. There is a bit of a soapy taste while drinking it, but at least it is not as nasty as the appleberry one. The finish is not bitter at first, but the bitterness will come in for a bit. A sour taste will develop on the back of the tongue in the finish, but it will soon go away. The taste is similar to a diet mango drink. The aftertaste is sweet and similar - of mango. Overall, a huge improvement in taste over the appleberry one.

This one packs just as much caffeine - 225 mg. I felt awake just 20 minutes after taking the shot. At first I felt calm, but soon after torrential amounts of energy came. It took a bit of time for the uncontrollable energy feeling to pass and then I was back down to a calm-ish feeling. The energy boost lasted for about 3-4 hours. Did not experience a crash.

Scores:
Cost - $2.99 CAD for a shot, I got this through a 2 for 1 deal at 7-11
Taste - 6/10
Energy - 9/10

Overall - 15/20...not bad, certainly much better than the alternative flavour

No comments:

Post a Comment