Thursday, March 4, 2010

amp Energy Juice Orange Review


About a week ago I was contacted by amp to review their new type of caffeinated product - the amp energy juice. Of course I agreed to it and a week later a FedEx truck pulled in my driveway and handed me a package. And what a package it was. It reminded me of the PR package Nokia sends to some reviewers - a sleek box with the product and some goodies. Check it out below.


The box has no other writing anywhere and inside was the following:

Sadly the t-shirt is XL and too large for me to wear. Lets get past the box and talk about the energy juices. Currently Guru Juicy Superfruit reigns my taste-buds with a spectacularly tasting juice based energy drink. Would the amp energy juice give it a run for its money? I am curious to find out.

First off, the bottles are a nice touch. I like having the option of putting a cap on my drink when I am not drinking it. Not having a cap on has resulted in a number of spills which could have been easily avoided. The plastic is also good if you are on the go. When I take a drink with me to work, I usually put it in the side pocket of my bag and I am always worried that I might smash it against a pole or a door.

The funny thing about the orange juice is that it contains pulp. Another thing I noticed about the products is the short expiration date. The date on the bottles sent to me said that I should consume the beverages before March 10th. Do these have a short shelf life like real juices or is this a part of the first run batch, probably prepared weeks in advance to get the opinion of some consumers? Well, it doesn't concern me much since I will be drinking both of them very soon.

The orange flavoured energy juice tastes like orange juice. No tricks, no bitter medicinal taste, no soapiness, nothing. It starts off like a plain Minute Maid orange juice but ends on a bit of a dry, potassium rich note. I thought I tasted some tangerines and grapefruits, but I might be imagining that. The aftertaste is a combination of orange and white grape flavour. OK, this is one of the better tasting energy drinks I have had. I generally like all products whose taste the added caffeine has not ruined. The orange flavour make this a great morning juice substitute. This comes very close to my favourite Guru drink in terms of taste, but does not beat it.

The bottle contains 120 mg of caffeine, which for some may not be enough. It is less than other amp products, but they are also 473 mL while this is only 355. If we were to do the math and scale up the bottle to 473 mL, you will get a caffeine content of 159.88 mg, which is almost identical to that of amp energy drinks. I felt awake within 15 minutes of consuming the juice, but I did not experience a burst of energy. What happened instead was a small burp of energy, which made me feel awake and then about 10-15 minutes after that I felt an elevation in my energy levels. The energy boost lasted for about 2 hours and I did not experience a crash or anything negative.

Unlike the Canadian label requirements, this US label has all the ingredients crammed together. I will do my best to separate the medicinal from non-medicinal ingredients.

Medicinal Ingredients:
  • Taurine
  • Guarana seed extract
  • Caffeine
  • Niacinamide
  • Panax ginseng root extract
  • Vitamin E
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
Non-medicinal Ingredients: orange juice (water and orange juice concentrate), white grape juice (water and white grape juice concentrate), citric acid, ascorbic acid, gum arabic, natural and artificial flavor, calcium pantothenate, modified food starch, sucrose acetate isobutyrate.

Scores:
Cost - $1.99 USD
Taste - 9.3/10
Energy - 6.9/10

Overall - 16.2/20...fantastic tasting juice, congrats on making this amp, but you can try to bump up the caffeine content. Push it until someone is able to taste the bitterness from the ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment