Monday, July 25, 2011

Firestar Max Cherry Review


Earlier this week I tried Firestar's Max Ice Mint and was quite impressed by its clean and refreshing taste and its performance. Today I am trying Firestar's second Max flavour release - Cherry, which was sent to me by the nice folks of Firestar.

Taste

The powder looks like a sweetener, but it definitely does not smell like one. In fact, it actually smells very minty. Hm, was the wrong powder put in this packet? No! You can taste the cherry as soon as you empty the packet on your tongue. It takes a second or two until your saliva penetrates the small powder pile and turns into something that is easy to swallow. An Intense mint note hits you moments after the cherry and tries to fully overpower it. Does it? In a way it does and in a way it doesn't. The cherry taste is still present, but mint is so powerful that it completely kills any potential bitterness from the active ingredients. It also refreshes your breath and has a long lasting effect. This whole time the cherry acts as a mild flavoring which is neither good nor bad. The whole taste combination reminds me of Fisherman's Friend Cherry flavored mint drops, which I used to get when I was little.

Unlike with the Ice Mint, I was able to detect a mild bitterness in the aftertaste about 5 minutes after swallowing the powder. Once the mint started letting up its intensity, some bitterness made its way through, but it did not result in an off-putting experience like with some other energy products.

Overall, the taste is almost as intense as Firestar's Ice Mint but with a nice Cherry twist.

Energy

Each packet has as much caffeine as 2 strong coffees which is more than enough to give you a nice jolt in the morning or whenever else you need it. This packet starter working within 15 minutes when I started to wake up and feel a lot more focused than when I got up 20 minutes earlier. I find that water helps me process these types of energy products faster so with the help of half of bottle of water I was really feeling the effects in another 15 minutes. But sure, this could be also due to the fact that the caffeine was starting to be absorbed.

Once fully absorbed, I felt very energized but luckily did not experience any jitters. The energy boost lasted for a few hours without a crash or another complication.

Scores:
Cost - unknown
Taste - 9/10
Energy - 8.5/10

Overall -17.5/20...great minty flavour with a cherry twist

No comments:

Post a Comment