Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Tonic Energy Shot Review


As I was paying for a bunch of energy drinks at the local Hasty Market, I noticed 4 colorful boxes near the cash register each in a different main color and each bearing a specific keyword - Energy, Detox, Immunity and Calm. They looked interesting so I picked up the Energy one to try it...but should have also bought the Calm one.

I don't recall the exact cost of the shot since there were no prices, but I don't think I paid more than $2.99 for it.

Taste

I cannot say I enjoyed the taste...at all. It started off with a burst of guarana, which I don't like very much on its own, and was followed by straight yerba mate. I like yerba mate, but when it is combination with something else that balances out its bitterness. I do own a gourd and have drank yerba mate properly, but I just find it too bitter on its own.

The bitterness lasts all the way to the aftertaste and for sometime afterwards, which doesn't leave a particularly enjoyable taste in your mouth.

In between the two flavours, I could detect something sweet and fruity, but it appeared for too short of a time for me to pinpoint exactly what it was.

Energy

There are 150 mg of caffeine, plus some extra from the rest of the ingredients. Despite the bitter taste, this shot works great! I almost instantly felt awake just a few short minutes after my first large gulp. Within another 5 minutes I was very focused and felt very energized.

Soon I felt the energy was a bit too much and started to experience a mild case of the jitters. This felt odd since there is very little sugar in the shot. Fortunately this did not last long.

I felt great for about 3-4 hours afterwards and did not experience a crash.

This may be a bad taste shot, but it works great.

Scores:
Cost - $2.99 (estimated)
Taste - 3/10
Energy - 8.5/10

Overall - 11.5/20...bitter tasting, but works great

No comments:

Post a Comment