Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Jay Street Coffee Latte Review


I found a shelf of Jay Street Coffee at the local T&T Supermarket for about $1.99 each. There were other flavours like vanilla and mocha, but I decided to start with the latte and see if it is worth picking up the other 2.

If you are wondering why this iced coffee was available at the local Asian grocery store, it is because Jay Street Coffee is a Thai product.

Taste

First off, before I get to the taste, I need to say something about the color of the iced coffee - it is beige and depressing. I don't know why but when I was about to crack it open, I noticed the gloomy beigeness of it and it really got to me. It looks like someone threw in a handful of mud or sand in clear water.

Fortunately the taste saves it. The iced coffee aroma is rich with roasted coffee notes and with a little bit of sweet cream. The mouthfeel is medium and the flavour starts off with sweet milky notes. Just a brief moment after the milkiness comes, medium roasted coffee notes emerge and linger well into the finish.

The aftertaste is a bit raunchy as with any other iced coffee, but there is a nice base layer of coffee reminding you of what you just consumed. Overall, the flavour was mild and inoffensive, the sweetness was well balanced and there is enough of the coffee notes here and there. Jay Street Coffee Latte went down quickly and smoothly.

Energy

There is no indication of the amount of caffeine on the label, but if I had to guess from the effects, I would say that it is in the 120 to 140 mg range. I felt the typical coffee boost within 10-15 minutes from taking the first few sips. There were some jitters due to the 40 grams of sugar in the bottle, but they were relatively mild.

Once the full caffeine effect kicked up, it felt like I just had a regular cup of coffee. The effects lasted for 2-3 hours and there was no crash at the end.

Overall, I really enjoyed this coffee and will get the other flavours to try as well. The coffee was smooth, easy to drink and offered a great boost for $1.99.

Scores:
Cost - $1.99
Taste - 8.5/10
Energy - 7.5/10

Overall - 16/20...smooth, easy drinking, decent kick

No comments:

Post a Comment