Friday, June 10, 2016

Red Bull The Summer Edition


New, from Red Bull and right in time for the summer - this green Red Bull can that I walked by multiple times in gas stations and convenience stores. From what I read, The Summer Edition has been out for a few weeks, but because the color is so close to the lime can they released last year, I didn't see it until now.

Red Bull should really work on their design. In a semi-illuminated fridge full of energy drinks, this green looks just slightly different from the other green. Unless the fridge is empty, or very brightly illuminated, it would be hard to distinguish the two. I know the label is a dead giveaway, but I usually just glance at energy drinks. I don't read the labels until I know there is a new drink somewhere.

Taste

The interesting thing is that the liquid inside the can has a hue that is very similar to the green on the can - light kiwi green. The energy drink smells like a medley of gummy bears and of nothing specific. The taste? Same. Don't get me wrong, I love this blend of mysterious flavors, but I had a hard time putting my finger on what exactly it was. I knew there had to be kiwi in there somewhere, but I couldn't pick it out. I know what kiwi tastes like. I am staring at a bowl of them to my right. I eat them almost daily and this does not taste like a straight up kiwi. Even if there was kiwi in here, it is masked by a ton of other flavors. I detect a blend of tropical fruits, some forest fruits, maybe some kiwi, some other stuff, and a twist of the good ol' Red Bull.

Despite this, I LOVE this flavor. I don't know what it is, but the blend of everything just kinda works.

Energy

If you can read the label (light green background with reflective silver text? Try reading that in the sunlight without squinting.), you will note that there are 114 mg of caffeine...a standard for 355 mL cans.

The effects are like any other Red Bull - sugary jitters kicking in quickly, followed by a burst of energy in 20-30 minutes that keeps you going for a couple of hours, followed by a semi-crash thanks to the sugar. I had this first thing in the morning and did not experience a severe crash, but try having it later in the day to see what happens.

Scores:
Cost - $3.49
Taste - 8.9/10
Energy - 7/10

Overall - 15.9/20...interesting medley of flavors without much of the kiwi

No comments:

Post a Comment