Saturday, October 17, 2009

Guru Sports Lemon-Lime Energy Drink Review


Does the label look familiar? Well, it should, it is the same as the Guru Full On one. There are no indications on Guru's website that this is a current flavour. This leads me to believe that this is what Guru Full On used to be. But since I am not very good at guessing things, this might also be a new product, let lose by Sobeys before Guru have had the chance to market it. But here is the other thing - this was behind all the Full On cans and the shelf had no "Guru Sports" price tags. It cost me $2.99 CAD, the same as Full On.

I wish I had a Guru Full On with me so I can compare them directly. Guru Sports, to me, tastes almost like Full On, except that this one has a slightly skunky aftertaste and a weaker overall taste. Perhaps it is an old product, sitting on the shelves, collecting dust and slowly fermenting its insides. Aside from the skunk taste, this tastes like a not too sweet lemonade with a twist and a slight ginseng undertone.

The Full On had around 140 mg of caffeine and came in a 355 mL container. I expect this to have more caffeine, proportional to its size. Simple math leads me to believe that this has around 186 mg, but after a few searches on the internets, I found evidence suggesting that this contains around 160 mg of caffeine, which puts it in the AMP, Full Throttle, Monster, Rockstar group of 473 mL drinks. I felt energized quickly and unlike most of the other drinks of similar sizes, I experienced no jitters and enjoyed the clean energy for a few hours. I absolutely love Guru and the way their products work.

Scores:
Cost - $2.99 CAD for a 473 mL can
Taste - 8.3/10
Energy - 8.1/10

Overall - 16.4/20...the taste is a little weaker than Full On, but it packs more caffeine

Check out some of the other Guru drinks:

No comments:

Post a Comment