Sunday, December 27, 2009

Romulan Ale Energy Drink Review


What is Romulan Ale? According to Wikipedia Romulan Ale is "a fictional popular blue alcoholic beverage..." This energy drink however, should not be confused with the beer. Seeing how this is a novelty energy drink I do not have great expectations. Last year I had a can of Duff energy drink and it tasted like cheap, artificial orange pop. The can of Duff was $2.99, but luckily, this can of Romulan Ale cost me $2.69. I got it from the local Bulk Barn store, which happened to carry quite a lot of novelty energy drinks. I think I will go back to get a can of Slurm.

The Romulan Ale manufacturer was at least authentic and made the drink blue. So far so good. I can see from the bubbles that this beverage is very carbonated. The taste is not bad, but it is not impressive. It tastes like a blue raspberry/blueberry pop (read soda). It is not too sweet and the sweetness did not build up for me. The finish is slightly sour giving it a pleasant aftertaste. There is no energy blend taste which makes this quite enjoyable.

Obviously the caffeine content will not be listed on such beverages, but caffeine is listed as an ingredient. I am guessing that this 250 mL contains anywhere between 50 and 80 mg of caffeine. I am basing this solely on the fact that this is a 250 mL can and is more of a novelty energy drink rather than a real energy drink. I felt a jolt about 15 minutes after consuming the drink. Ten minutes after that I was feeling a bit jittery but overall energized. I think that much of this energy came from the amount of sugar this drink contains and not the caffeine. The energized feeling went away too quickly after only 45 - 50 minutes. This isn't the best energy drink, but it sure is cool.

Scores:
Cost - $2.69 CAD for a 250 mL can
Taste - 8.2/10
Energy - 5.5/10

Overall - 13.7/20...it tastes like Jolt Blue Raspberry, only slightly better due to the lack of an "energy blend" taste

No comments:

Post a Comment