Monday, December 28, 2009

Hype Enlite Energy Drink Review


For the longest time I thought that the black Hype can was the regular Hype and the silver can was the sugar free one. As it turned out, the silver can is the regular one and the pink can, Hype Enlite, is the light Hype. How do I know it is the light one? Well when I was waiting for the log in screen to appear, I was staring at the can and I saw the subtle text in the background which said "10 cal". Can you see it in the photo?


I like this, I like the subtlety, I like the art that is the background. I got the can for $1.99 from Bulk Barn, which is the only store I have every seen the pink Hype sold at.

As expected the drink is pink. It smells a lot like your typical Red Bull clone. It tastes like a Red Bull clone too with the exception of the slightly diet taste which appears in the finish. There is some extra citric acid added which makes the aftertaste sour and very crisp. I like this drink, it has a sour bite similar to that of Red Rave. Having tried this, I have to try diet Red Bull to compare the taste.

Don't expect much of a rush if you are a caffeine junkie/energy drink fiend. Being a 250 mL drink, this provides only 80 mg of caffeine which is on par with all other similarly priced and sized drinks. Since my day started really early, the 80 mg were enough to wake me up in the morning. The extra citric acid helped do the trick as well. I felt energized within 15 minutes, but like any other 250 mL energy drink the heightened energy feeling lasted for about an hour before I was back to my normal level of morning energy...the one between the moment you feel awake and the moment you feel drowsy around lunch time, yeah, that one.

Scores:
Cost - $1.99 CAD for a 250 mL can
Taste - 8.3/10
Energy - 6/10

Overall - 14.3/20...almost identical to the Red Rave drink with the exception of the slight diet taste in the finish, which is why I took some points off

No comments:

Post a Comment