Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Full Throttle Energy Drink New Can Design Review


Yes, the Full Throttle energy drinks have a new can design which I first saw yesterday. I will take this opportunity to re-review some of them in the hopes that the taste has been updated as well. The new Full Throttle energy drinks cost just $2.59 at 7-11 and I don't think that is a promotion because I did not see any posters or stickers on the fridges.

I don't know how to feel about the new can design. I like the larger text, but I am not a big fan of the oscilloscope-like graphic. I think the latest U.S. design looks much better with its similarly sized text, but a stamp with the flavour instead of the wavy image. One other thing that I like is the graph with the caffeine amount on the back of the can. Check out the image below.


I find this to be a touch more subtle than the previous design with its screaming tribal graphic, but I think the designers could have done much, much better.

The drink smells a bit mellower than the previous Full Throttle citrus energy drink and still has the same pale yellow color. The taste is also mellower, but it still hasn't lost its generic-like citrus flavour. One thing I know for sure - Full Throttle original has not gotten worse. I liked the original one and I can certainly see myself buying this one again in the future. Though it still has the generic citrus taste, it still has that unique tropical fruit tone which makes the overall taste pretty good. The one thing I think has changed is the aftertaste. This drink has a slightly fresher aftertaste which is free of the generic citrus taste for most of the time. Towards the end the taste starts to build up, but it only lasts for a minute or two in the aftertaste as it is overpowered by the other, more subtle tropical flavours.

Not much has changed in the caffeine department. There are still only 141 mg of caffeine, which is on the lower end of what 473 mL energy drinks have to offer. I started to feel something within 15 minutes of opening the can, but that could have been the sugar. In another 10 minutes I started to wake up and experience the initial effects of the caffeine. I did not experience any jitters because I drank the beverage slowly. Surprisingly the energy high lasted for about 2.5 - 3 hours and I did not experience a crash at the end. I am not sure if this is only because of the Full Throttle or a combination of the energy drink and a good night's sleep, but it sure gave me enough energy in the morning.

Medicinal Ingredients:
  • Taurine - 1,892 mg
  • Caffeine - 141 mg
  • Niacin - 34 mg
  • Riboflavin - 3.12 mg
  • Vitamin B5 - 3.78 mg
Non-Medicinal Ingredients: carbonated water, sugar/glucose-fructose, citric acid, natural and artificial flavours, sodium citrate, sodium benzoate, color.

Scores:
Cost - $2.59 CAD for a 473 mL can at 7-11
Taste - 8.2/10
Energy - 7.8/10
Overall - 16/20...the taste has not changed though I think it should have lost its generic citrus taste for a better overall enjoyment. I found the aftertaste a touch better with its lack of the generic citrus taste

No comments:

Post a Comment