Sunday, May 16, 2010

Bone Chillin Energy Drink Review


This is a weird energy drink. Weird because I have never seen it and never heard of it and it comes bearing the "Cott" logo. It is also weird because I picked up a 4 pack of this for only $3.97 from the local Wal-Mart. What else can I say? It has a surprisingly nice can design, which would stand out if sold in stores like 7-11 on the same shelves as Monster or AMP.

I had no idea what to expect in terms of taste since I could not find an indication of the flavour anywhere on the box or the cans. But this coming from Cott, I was expecting something similar to Red Bull. Yep, I was not disappointed. This tasted almost exactly like Red Rain/Turbo Energy except that it had more of a citric bite at the beginning of each sip. The sweet Red Bull taste comes in after the initial sourness and remains in your mouth for a very brief period of time. The finish is similar to the initial taste and the aftertaste is crisp and refreshing, but makes your mouth a bit dry in the long run. I love this taste. I love the taste of Red Bull, but this slight change in the taste makes the drink much crisper and more enjoyable...at least for me.

There are 142 mg of caffeine in the 473 mL can of Bone Chillin, which is on the lower end of the scale, but it's enough to give you a nice kick. I started to experience a boost within 15 - 20 minutes, but that could have been from the sugar. After a short period of time I was fully awake and a bit jittery. Twenty minutes later and the whole can gone, I was ready to jump out of my seat and run around the neighborhood. The boost lasted for a few hours and did not result in a crash. Not bad for a drink which costs less than $1 per can.

Did I just find THE Red Bull replacement? Think about it. This costs only $3.97 for 4 cans, which makes each can cost only $0.99. It has the same taste as Red Bull, a small can of which costs $2.49, most places, or $3.99 for an equivalent 473 mL can. It also has almost the exact same caffeine content at an equivalent of just over 75 mg per 250 mL. If you were standing in Wal-Mart, looking at a 4 pack of small Red Bull and a pack of Bone Chillin, which would you buy knowing that both taste the same and latter costs about 50% less than the former? I always thought that a pack of regular Red Rain is a great Red Bull replacement until I found this.

Medicinal Ingredients:
  • Taurine - 1,873 mg
  • Caffeine - 142 mg
  • Inositol - 92 mg
  • Niacinamide - 31 mg
  • Pantothenic Acid - 6 mg
  • Vitamin B6 - 3 mg
  • Riboflavin - 3 mg
  • Vitamin B12 - 0.6 mcg
Non-Medicinal Ingredients: carbonated water, sugar/glucose-fructose, citric acid, natural and artificial flavour, sodium citrate, colour, potassium benzoate.

Scores:
Cost - $3.97 for a 4 pack from Wal-Mart
Taste - 8.9/10
Energy - 7.5/10

Overall - 16.4/20...one of the best, cheapest energy drinks on the Canadian market, love it

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you.. they do taste great but the effects are slightly lighter than red bull

    A great replacement option at low cost

    ReplyDelete