Monday, August 15, 2011

Rip It F Bomb Energy Drink Review


Rip It energy drinks are quite rare around these parts of the continent (read: outside the US) so when I come across one I haven't tried my light up. And at $1.99 for a can, it definitely gives the rest of the energy drinks a fight.

Taste

Upon popping the tab open, some pink mist sprayed out and I got a whiff of the cans contents - typical fruit punch. My first sip confirmed this. Yes, this taste like your typical fruit punch with various kinds of berries and some cherries. The taste is borderline artificial and the only thing that saves it is its distinct cherry note. In the finish, a light cream soda note is noticeable, but doesn't really do anything for me as I am not a huge fan of either fruit punches or cream sodas.

I should also mention that the taste is sweet and the more you drink the more it builds up. You better like sugary drinks if you are going for this one.

Energy

Sadly there are only 102 mg of caffeine in this 473 mL container. I was expecting something a lot more potent along the lines of its mates - Sting-er Mo or Power. I understand that it may be hard to squeeze in so much caffeine without giving it an odd taste, but there is so much sugar in here that I am more than positive that the taste would have been masked well.

The energy kick comes in quick thanks to the sugar, but so do the jitters. The real effects don't appear until 30 or so minutes later when the jitters have sort of died down. The kick lasts about as long as a medium sized can of Red Bull - almost 2 hours. And what comes at the end? Yep, a crash courtesy of the sugar.

At $1.99 for a can, I would definitely pick another Rip It over this one, though I can see why someone would make a fruity energy drink. I am just not their target audience.

Scores:
Cost - $1.99
Taste - 7/10
Energy - 6.8/10

Overall - 13.8/20...fruity, sweet, half the caffeine of other Rip It energy drinks

No comments:

Post a Comment