Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Green-Up Tropical Energy Drink Review


Looks like the Green-Up line of energy drinks went through a minor re-branding since the last time I saw it. I had the Cranberry one a long time ago and picked it up from the local European store. This one was given to  my by my girlfriend who found it at the local Asian store for about $2. Unlike the European one, this one is all in English and I am able to read the labels.

Taste

It has an interesting taste, which is half sweet tropical and half guarana. The sweetness is sticky and a bit overwhelming at times, but at least the guarana taste is not too intrusive. The finish is sweet with trace amounts of tropical flavour. Overall, I found the flavour to be too weak and wish the focus was on rather than it sharing its presence with the guarana.

Energy

You guessed it - there are 80 mg of caffeine in the can, well....32/100 mL, but when you do the math, you get 80 mg. The effects are identical to that of a small can of Red Bull (funny how I have to say small now. Remember some time ago all you could buy were the 250 mL cans?).

I got a sugary rush within 10-15 minutes with a bit of jitters and a caffeine kick later on, which lasted for about 1.5 hours. Since this was first thing in the morning, the crash was not as severe as it would have been if I had this towards the end of the day.

Overall, this is an interesting drink, which reminded me a bit of V-Power, but I just don't think there is anything special about its taste or energy boost.

Scores:
Cost - $2
Taste - 6.8/10
Energy - 6/10

Overall - 12.8/20...mediocre, works like a Red Bull, but I still prefer the Red Bull taste

No comments:

Post a Comment