Friday, August 31, 2012

Spike Shooter Energy Drink Review


After a brief hiatus we are back with a series of reviews of various caffeinated products I picked up during my vacation. I am starting off with a strong energy drink called Spike. I picked it up from the GNC store at the Great Lakes Crossing in Michigan for $10.99 for a 4 pack. The guy running the store refused to sell me singles even though the shelf had a label for single cans for $2.99. If a GNC employee is reading this you should tell your guys to enforce the sale of singles, especially if you have a sign that allows for the sale and you will also make more money.

Taste

Berry...berry for sure. Everything about this drink screams berry. The flavour is pretty good for a drink with 0 calories, but the typical sweetener taste is present. Also, there is an odd hint which reminds me of effervescent energy drinks - sort of a chalky, slightly bitter note.

The can says that the drink is lightly carbonated, but I found it to have a very standard level of carbonation. Also, I don't know why, but the drink made my mouth very dry.

Energy

There are 300 mg of caffeine in this small container. This is almost as much as 4 Red Bulls. The effects are exactly what I was expecting. I had about a third of the can and put it away while I was doing some things and by the time I came back for it within 10 minutes, I was feeling wide awake and very energized. By the time I finished the can over the next 30 minutes I was ready to go (yes, I also felt jittery from the caffeine and not the sugar)! Taking 300 mg at once gives me a lot of energy, which is why I like to space it out over the course of a morning (about 4 hours or so) so that I feel energized the entire work day.

The kick lasted for about 5-6 hours and there were no ill effects at the end.

Scores:
Cost - $2.99 for a can or $10.99 for a 4 pack
Taste - 7/10
Energy - 10/10

Overall - 17/20...decent taste for a sugar free drink with an amazing kick

1 comment:

  1. I just drank a spike shooter for the first time and I feel like in dying. I'm shaking and I was warned it was strong, but wow. I can't handle it man. Drink with caution, because this stuff is hardcore. I just can't.

    ReplyDelete