Monday, January 25, 2010

Fusion Energy Shot Berry Flavour Review


Today I am having an energy shot that has been sitting on my desk for over a week. I wasn't avoiding it, I just wasn't able to find the right time to consume a 60 mL energy shot with 231 mg of caffeine. Even though I had a great sleep and I am not tired, I decided that today is the day. Just to backtrack a little, I found the Fusion energy shot at a 7-11 and it cost me $2.99 CAD, standard for energy shots.

The bottle is nothing unique, it is identical to all the 5 hour energy shots. I had a hard time opening this because the top of the label is not perforated where it should have been so twisting the cap doesn't do much. But when I finally got the cap off, an all too familiar "berry" smell hit me. Sure it smelled like berries, but under that sweet mask, lurked the notes of artificial sweeteners and chemicals, ready to strike at your nose the moment you got too close. The taste itself is not too bad. I am very glad for the sourness of this shot, which masks the bitterness, the sweetness and the poor berry taste. At first the shot tastes a lot like the Fuel Cell Appleberry shot, but it quickly turns into something resembling Slimquick's enregy shot. The finish is, again, similar to that of the Slimquick shot - sour and clean at first, but turns dry with notes of coffee and chocolate after a couple of minutes. Weird!

The back of the label says that this shot contains 231 mg of caffeine, but I am not 100% sure that this is correct. It took some time for me to start experiencing the initial effects of downing an energy shot. At first I felt focused and somewhat relaxed, but with a strange sensation coursing through my body. The relaxed and focused feeling did not last very long and soon I was feeling a little jittery and energized. I did not feel as energized as I should have been after consuming 231 mg of caffeine, which lead me to believe that this shot contains less than the stated amount of caffeine. Either that or my body has somehow gotten used to consuming that much caffeine without an overwhelming effect in the past 5 days.

The shot still gave me a rush of energy, but just not as much as expected from 231 mg of caffeine. I would compare this to the rush I get from drinking one of the big name energy drinks - AMP, Full Throttle, Monster, RockStar, etc. Also forget about this "6+ hour energy shot" promise you see on the label. It should read 2+ hours since that is how long the energy boost lasted for me. What the company should also add to the front of the label is "focus", because really, that was the best part about consuming this.

Scores:
Cost - $2.99 CAD for a 60 mL shot
Taste - 5.9/10
Energy - 7.5/10

Overall - 13.4/20...not a bad tasting energy shot, but I was a bit disappointed with the performance

No comments:

Post a Comment