Wednesday, September 2, 2009

AMP Overdrive Energy Drink Review


I have been avoiding this one for quite a while now. Why? I just don't like cherry flavoured carbonated drinks too much. They remind me a lot of cough syrups, more than other energy drinks. I do enjoy cherry juices, but not carbonated drinks. After AMP Overdrive, I will have left only AMP Defend and AMP Rebuild to try and AMP regular to review. I have never seen AMP Defend in stores. The company website is down so I can't really get much info on that and the Canadian website is just useless at the moment. After a quick search on the internets, I have learned that Defend is actually AMP with Green Tea and Rebuild is AMP with Black Tea. OK, job done.

I don't know how to feel about AMP Overdrive. It seems like your average generic energy drink with a hint of cherry. You can really taste the Mountain Dew in this one, the cherry taste is lost somewhere in there. The aftertaste is the same - mountain dew dominates. The cherry aftertaste is lost after about 5 seconds. I almost forgot, this does have a slight cough syrup aftertaste. There is also a bitter undertone which is present for a very short time - half a second or so, enough to remind you that this might as well have been cough syrup you were drinking. Once you finish drinking this and wait for a few minutes, the Mountain Dew taste disappears and you are left with a very fresh and clean aftertaste. That part was my favorite. So to summarize, this is just an AMP/Mountaind Dew with some cherry flavouring added as an afterthought. I hate to say this, but the other AMP drinks taste better...relative to this one.

The typical amount of caffeine is present in this one - 158 mg. Gives you a nice boost, what else is there to say? I have run out of things to say about the 158 mg caffeine per can amount.

Scores:
Cost - $2.99 CAD
Taste - 7/10
Energy - 7.5/10

Overall - 14.5/20...kind of a bland, heavy on the Mountain Dew AMP, but with an OK aftertaste once the Mountain Dew aftertaste disappears

Check out the other AMP reviews:

No comments:

Post a Comment