Sunday, December 6, 2009

Inked Citrus Energy Shot Review


The time for me to try the Inked energy shots has come. I went to get a couple from 7-11 yesterday regretting not doing this the last time they had their 2 for 1 sale. I paid regular price - $2.69 CAD for each shot. The price is not too high and not too low, it is right in the middle. The bottle, in which the shots come, is identical to that of the Fuel Cell energy shots. Unlike the Inked energy drinks, the shots don't have individual names, they go by flavour.

After a vigorous shake, I twisted the cap off and was greeted by an aroma somewhere between cough medicine and Red Bull/Red Rain. I don't know what to think of the taste as it is neither bad nor good. There isn't any flavour at all. The shot is bitter but fairly neutral so I cannot say it tastes like cough medicine. Towards the end of the container I was able to detect a sour hint of citric acid, but that was quickly overpowered by the bitterness. The worst part of the shot is the bitter sensation it leaves on your tongue. Unless told, I would have never guessed that this was supposed to taste like citrus fruits.

Unlike the Red Rain shot I had yesterday, this one has a lot more caffeine - 150 mg to be exact. That amount is equivalent to the one present in the Inked energy drinks so in the end the dilemma is if one should drink 473 mLs and somewhat enjoy the taste, or suck it up and slam down 71 mLs. Too bad the label does not promise mental clarity and focus, because that is exactly what I was experiencing before the 150 mg of caffeine found their way through my system and delivered a torrent of energy. OK, it wasn't a torrent, but more of a gradual flooding as at first I was awake and energized but then I was overwhelmed and slightly jittery. The jitters lasted for quite sometime and the energy boost lasted even longer. It is now 4 hours after I took the shot and I am still feeling pretty energetic. Not a bad shot.

Scores:
Cost - $2.69 CAD for a 71 mL shot
Taste - 3.5/10
Energy - 8/10

Overall - 11.5/20...I know I said that the taste was neither bad nor good so I should have given it a 5, but I decided to be tough. A 3.5 means that you can drink it without regretting the purchase you made, unlike Ice Blue Chill NRG shot or Fuel Cell Appleberry shot

No comments:

Post a Comment