Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Monster Assault Review


Morning time with no coffee. I decided to get something cold, carbonated and full of caffeine to get me up and going. I picked up a Monster Assault at the only place that was open early near work. I don't know why it's called Assault. I thought it might assault my tastebuds with its horrible taste, but it didn't...or at least not so much.

Smells like Red Bull, tastes like a fake Red Bull. I wish I had a can of Red Bull with me so I can make an easier comparison between the two. All I can say is that the Monster tastes a lot more like a cough syrup than the Red Bull does. At $3.19 CAD you get more than the large Red Bull, but if I had to pick between the two at this moment, I would go for the granddaddy of energy drinks - the Red Bull.

I detected hints of cola and a bit of cherry. The immediate aftertaste is way too sweet and artificial, a lot like the regular Monster. The sweetness fades away in seconds and the drink leaves a slightly better taste, again, similar to the one you get from the regular Monster. Better only in comparison to the very sweet, immediate aftertaste.

As for energy, a large can of Red Bull contains 0.317 mg of caffeine/mL while the Monster Assault - 0.347 mg/mL. Sure you get more, but I still prefer the taste of Red Bull and the burst of energy it delivers. The beverage still gave me enough energy to start my work day and kept me going for a while.

Scores:
Cost -you can find this most places for $2.99 CAD, which is $0.20 cheaper than what I paid for it
Taste - 6.7/10
Energy - 8/10 (some jitters due to my drinking habits)

Overall - 14.7/20...similar to Red Bull in some ways with some extra caffeine

Read about the other Monster drinks I have tried:

No comments:

Post a Comment